Saturday, September 26, 2009

Its not just vampires....its blond identical twins too!


Its enlightening, and a little scary, to make a list of my interests.

One might wonder where vampires and Sweet Valley High books meet. Actually, they do meet in a later addition to the hilarious SVH series - Kiss of a Killer - where Jessica dates a vampire! I do not own this book and have never read it....but I pray each day that I will one day find a copy hidden in my local goodwill! So of course, I was excited/sad to read that Diablo Cody is adapting my beloved SVH into a film.

Excited because - hello! this might be my big break! – and sad because SVH really was a huge part of my childhood. I worry that the cheesy and ridiculous source material will be updated to reflect actual reality…. I worry that they will cast actual identical twins as Jessica and Elizabeth and not me in a “Parent Trap”- style split screen.

I seriously worry that the books will be reissued with new covers. The original book covers are my own personal brand of heroin! Not just for their campy 80s deliciousness, but the ability of those iconic and forgotten images to literally transport me to the YA section at my local bookstore circa 1986. I want to shout from the rooftop, “I have a discovered the time machine, people, and its operated by a mysterious lady named Francine Pascal!”

But mostly, I’m worried that someone else might snatch up my copy of Kiss of a Killer!

No comments:

Post a Comment